Head over to facebook.com/taketraction.com to discuss this episode!
- 0:26:52 – Opinews
- 1:01:37 – Feature – How to build a killer Amazon PPC campaign in 2018
- 2:29:15 – Amazon PPC summary – This is a long show and if you're trying to set up your own Amazon PPC campaign I would highly recommend you listen to all of it. But if time isn't on your side, you can always skip to this point to listen to me summarise everything I learned from Cristian in today's show.
Today's riddle: A sundial has the fewest moving parts of any timepiece. Which has the most?
Think you know the answer? Let us know over at facebook.com/taketraction.com. The answer will be revealed in next week's episode.
This week we've got a great few segments coming up for you:
In this week’s Opinews:
- Shit hits the fan in India as the government releases their new ecommerce policies. Will Amazon and Walmart survive these heavy restrictions?
- Etsy joins the India buzz this week by launching the marketplace amidst all the ecommerce changes. Could this more artesan focused platform stop all the protests from small privately owned Indian companies?
- Whatsapp has finally monetised their platform but the way they've done it is genius. Are they even doing it for the money?
- Could Salesforce be in danger after Freshworks raises $100m for their suite of tools?
Feature – How to build a killer Amazon PPC campaign in 2018
Amazon. The beast. The mammoth. The giant. Can't live with it, can't live without it. And as they say, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em.
Amazon PPC has always been a very powerful way to increase your sales through the platform, but since their TOS banner users from giving out coupons in exchange for reviews in 2016, Amazon PPC has never been more important to get your product off the ground.
In fact, that's exactly what we've been doing this week! On Monday our first load of inventory arrived at the Amazon fulfillment center in Dallas, Texas. Since then it's been go, go, go to get our first white-label Amazon product up and running.
To do that we've applied all sorts of different techniques and we're still doing so. But one of the most important of them all is Amazon PPC.
But we've actually been preparing for this moment for the past 9 months.
You see, nearly one whole year ago, Cristian and I began work on a new project with a cleints of ours. The client in question came to ask asking if we could build out profitable Amazon PPC campaigns for a number of SKUs that he was managing.
Despite having zero experience with Amazons advertising platform, Cristian and I agreed to take on the project for a couple of reasons:
- We have a lot of experience on various other advertising platforms and we were convinced that with a bit of experimentation we could very quickly understand the platform.
- We knew that we were going to be launching our own Amazon products in the near future and this project would be the perfect way to prepare ourselves for a successful launch.
We both jumped into the research together but I very quickly veered away from the project as more work came in from other clients.
Cristian, however, has spent the last 9 months working on the platform almost every day, entending his knowledge and understanding of Amazon PPC and ultimately running very profitable campaigns for said client.
In today's episode it's time for me to get back up to speed. I'm going to pick his brain for absolutely everything he has learned about Amazon PPC and we'll piece it all together so that you will be able to follow along step by step and build your very own profitable Amazon PPC campaigns.
We'll be discussing:
- How to do keyword research for Amazon PPC – Where to find seed keywords, what tools to use for better keyword research and how to structure your results.
- The difference between auto and manual campaigns and why you need both.
- How to use auto campaigns on Amazon to discover keywords you could never have thought of on your own.
- Keyword matching – The difference between Broad Match, Phrase Match and Exact Match.
- How to set up a "converting keywords" ad group for each of your seed keywords and then use this list of keywords to optimise your product listing.
As mentioned at the top, this is a very long podcast so if you run out of time at any point, skip to 2:29:15 where you'll be able to hear me summarise everything I learned from Cristian in this episode in less than 5 minutes.
Now, pour yourself a glass of wine, sit back and prepare to learn everything you need to know to launch your next big product.
Links and Resources:
- Links from our Opinews segment:
- 99designs.com – The place where you can get hundreds of submissions for your design project for less than $300.
- Freshmarketer – One of our favourite A/B testing tools (although since the Freshworks acquisition it's a little bit on the pricey side).
- Optimizely – The expensive – and quite frankly, not as good – competitor to Fresh Marketer.
- VWO – Same as above.
- Amazon keyword research tools from today's feature show:
- Paid tools:
- Junglescout – They have two tools, the product tracker/researcher web app and the extension. When you use the extension in your browser on a search results page on Amazon, you'll see a small icon in the bottom right of the popup that looks like a cloud. This is a great way to find out what keywords your competitors are using.
- Keyword Inspector
- Free tools:
- Paid tools:
Please Help Us Out:
Our podcast content is free, but we just have one favour to ask: If you like the show then make sure to subscribe but most importantly, please leave us a review wherever you listen to your podcasts. You really have no idea how much it helps.
For more, head over to taketraction.com